Doha is a city that combines the old with the new. It hosts various elegant and impressive shopping malls, while at the same time, it’s home to Souq Waqif, the city’s bazaar with the truly authentic vibes.
Souq Waqif is one of the most popular attractions in Doha, and for a good reason. It’s not only a thriving marketplace, where you can find almost anything you can think of, but is also home to various restaurants that offer a wide range of exquisite tastes.
Here are ten things you can do:
1. Shop souvenirs for your friends and family back home (or just for you!). We suggest the beautiful handmade jewelry boxes, the traditionally made baskets, or the embroidered pashminas.
2. If you love exotic aromas, new scents, and delicious flavors, then make sure you explore this part of the Souq, near the main entrance from the Corniche. You’ll find colorful, aromatic spices that will give an extra taste to your dishes. We love paprika, saffron, and all the peppers! However, the variety is wide and definitely tempting to choose from.
3. For special prices on golden jewelry, visit Gold Souq, which lies just off Souq Waqif’s central area. You’ll find a labyrinth of shops with all types of high-quality jewelry, from necklaces and rings to earrings and bracelets. You can also ask for a custom-made item! A lovely idea would be to create a necklace with your name written in Arabic; an authentic and unique choice!
4. Did you know that falcons play a significant part in the country’s heritage? They are highly respected creatures and symbols of status. Falcon Souq at Souq Waqif is a must-visit place, if you wish to see falcons! You can also hold them under the shopkeeper’s supervision.
5. Souq is home to camels, highly significant animals for Qatar as well. Camels are also known as ‘ships of the desert,’ as they can carry loads of goods and travel for long periods with the minimum amount of water. These beautiful creatures sit at a pen at Souq Waqif; visit them and take some photos!
6. Lastly, you can see some well-groomed Arabian horses at the stables near the Falcon Souq. When the weather is cool, the beautiful horses run outside!
7. The art enthusiasts can pay a visit to Souq Waqif Art Center, which hosts works of local artists. It is currently under renovation but keep a note and make sure to visit soon!
8. Enjoy Arabic flavors at one of the restaurants! We highly suggest Damasca One or Le Gourmet; the meats, hummus, and tabbouleh salad in both restaurants are delicious.
9. If you prefer to do shisha with a freshly squeezed juice, then head to Layali Al Qahira, just after Le Gourmet. We love its location, as it’s in Souq Waqif’s main road and it’s enjoyably busy.
10. If you continue walking at the main road, you will reach Msheireb Downtown Doha, the latest Doha’s hub. Enjoy a refreshing drink at Infinity, one of the most popular rooftops in the city. Infinity may be temporarily closed, make sure to confirm this before you visit.
One of the main entrances is this one:
Would you add one more thing to do in Souq Waqif?